Friday, March 31, 2006

 

Ok, seriously, I can't believe it's Friday, again!

So one of the crazy things about having a job that you love is that the weeks FLY BY. I seriously feel like it's always Friday, which, depending on the way you look at it, may not be such a bad thing. (I'm actually going skiing today, with a bunch of Michigan friends, which is very exciting.)

So, I suppose now is the perfect time to tell you about this job that I love so much. But first, a little background: in January 2004, President Bush announced a new Vision for Space Exploration (VSE), which would send humans to the moon and ultimately on to Mars. In response to the VSE, Northrop Grumman Space Systems teamed with Boeing in a competition to design and develop the new Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV). The CEV is slated for launch early next decade, after retirement of the Space Shuttle in 2010.

I am a systems engineer by trade, but I also moonlight in Business Devleopment. My job is cool for a number of reasons, but mostly because there is something new to learn everyday! No one knows what the correct answer is, so we're all helping to come up with a design that meets NASA's performance objectives, within budget, and on schedule.

The last year has provided some amazing learning opportunities. I have worked on two major proposals (which is sort of like writing a 40-page paper the day before it's due),lead an integrated modeling development effort, managed one of three technical deliverables, created an internal investment strategy, and prepared an advertising pitch. I work with a great group of folks, including an astronaut who has flown three missions aboard the space shuttle.

Oh oh. I have to run to a meeting, so more later. Have a great weekend!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?